Primitive Bladesmithing 2-Day Intensive
Throughout human history, civilizations have been shown to make periodic quantum leaps in technological and cultural sophistication. The Iron Age, more specifically the development of carbon steel alloys, was one such quantum technological event that arguably facilitated the rise of literature, industry, and modern technologies.
Unassuming yet central to daily life, the development of durable, flexible, and highly customizable cutting tools is critical in the production of most, if not all, modern technologies.
In our primitive bladesmithing class, students will reconnect with the ancient art of metalsmithing as our ancestors did with simple tools, charcoal, and an earthen pit forge. This is a co-creative partnership between you and the primal elements of Fire, Earth, Water, and Air in the creation of a custom, hand wrought, bushcraft blade from high carbon steel alloy.
In this workshop, you will:
- Learn the fundamentals of high carbon steel metallurgy
- Revive ceremonial practices used by ancient bladesmiths to infuse spiritual energy into their blades
- Understand the anatomy of the perfect bushcraft or field knife
- Hot cut steel without the use of power tools
- Forge a high carbon steel alloy knife blade in a primitive earthen forge
- Understand the essentials of practical blade and edge geometry for survival and bushcraft knives
- Heat treat your forged blade to harden and temper a perfect balance of edge retention and toughness
- Sharpen and hone your blade into a razor’s edge without relying on jigs or modern angle guides.
This class includes an optional overnight camp-out in a historic farm-like setting on private land
*The Primitive Bladesmithing class is the first in a three part series of classes followed by Traditional Knife Hafting and Traditional Sheath Making.
Class Date: Saturday & Sunday, May 28th – 29th, 2016 (10am Saturday – 5pm Sunday, 2016)
Location: Santa Fe Springs, Ca
Early Bird Registration (ends 9pm, May 22nd): ….…….… $175
Standard Registration: ……………………………………………..….. $195
Shop and Materials Fee: ……………………………………………….. $30
Children 13 and under (with a registered adult):………………..$99
*Additional details, including directions and what to bring, will be provided after sign up below.
**Children 13 and under may attend at a reduced price with a registered adult to share a blade.
Questions? Visit the FAQ
Still have questions? Contact us!
Cancellation and Refund Policies
A great deal of staff time and expense is invested into the preparation and organization of individual classes. It is difficult and oftentimes impossible to recover costs and/or find a student to replace a cancelled registrant and so our cancellation and refund policies reflect this. Full refunds, minus $15 administrative fee for single day classes and a $30 admin fee for multi-day classes, are given to registrants who cancel with at least 7 days notice of the event. Cancellations made less than 7 days of the event forfeit a refund.